Nashville Music Business Law Firm & Attorney
Founded by Nashville music business attorney Zach Scott Gainous, we are a Nashville boutique music law firm that provides legal expertise, advice and representation to creative & talented individuals and businesses in the music industry. We strive to be the "go-to" music law firm and general counsel for creative and talented individuals and businesses in the music industries. If you would like to work with us on your music law issues please contact us today to schedule an appointment.
Who We Help in the Music Business
- Music artists, acts, & bands in country, pop, top 40, rock, R&B, hip hop, etc.,
- Music creators, including
- Songwriters, music composers, lyricists, etc.,
- Record producers, music producers, etc.,
- Mix engineers, studio engineers, mastering engineers, etc.,
- Studio musicians, touring or backline musicians, etc.,
- Music business professionals, entrepreneurs, business owners, & music executives, including
- Record label executives, music publishing execs, etc.,
- Artist managers, business managers, publicists, fan club managers, etc.,
- Tour managers, concert or touring producers, personnel, etc.,
- Music industry businesses, companies, & startups, including
- Independent record labels, music publishing companies, etc.,
- Artist-owned, songwriter-owned, or producer-owned record labels,
- Songwriter-owned, artist-owned, or producer-owned music publishers or publishing companies,
- Artist or personal management and business management firms, publicity, social media, music marketing, or PR firms, etc.
- Music & recording studios
How We Help Music Business Law Clients
We have the legal and music industry expertise to advise and represent music industry clients in protecting their assets, property, interests, privacy, and reputation, both personally and professionally, or for their business or career. Below are just some of the ways and areas we help and serve music business clients.
Contracts & Agreements for Music Business Clients
We have the legal and music industry expertise to advise and represent music clients on their music industry agreements and all of their contracts and agreements, including contract negotiations and drafting, disputes, breaches, litigation, and appeals, etc. Some of the agreements we advise and represent music law clients with include,
- Record deals, 360 label agreements, development deals, and other record label artist contracts,
- Music publishing agreements, co-publishing deals, & music publishing administration contracts,
- Concert & touring contracts, personal appearance agreements, concert sound, lighting, live production, and staging contracts, tour management deals, etc.,
- Record producer deals, mixer or mix engineer contracts, mastering engineer agreements, etc.,
- Fashion, merchandise, and apparel contracts, manufacturing contracts, distribution deals, retail agreements, etc.,
- Sponsorship & endorsement agreements and contracts for music artists and bands, concerts, and tourts, etc.,
- Music artist & band team member agreements and contracts, including personal or artist management, booking agent, business or financial management, publicists or PR firms, social media management, fan club management, etc.
- Investment deals for music artists, bands, independent labels, publishers, etc.,
- Band or group member agreements or contracts,
- Music executive employment and compensation agreements, etc.
Intellectual Property, Copyrights, & Trademarks for Music Clients
We have the legal and music business expertise to provide music industry clients with legal advice and representation on intellectual property, including the use, protection, management, misuse or infringement of copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets. Some of this includes:
- what types of music related assets or creations qualify for intellectual property protection, under copyright, trademark, or trade secret, including songs, recorded music and sound recordings, videos, photos, album artwork, merchandise, logos, names, brands, customer lists, etc.,
- advising on, assisting with, or overseeing, the protection of music related intellectual property, copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets, including the benefits and requirements of copyright and trademark registration,
- overseeing and assisting with intellectual property, copyright, and trademark audits and valuations, including financial valuations, and music royalty audits for the sale, use, broadcast, streaming, or licensing of music related IP,
- advising and representing clients in the sale or licensing of music intellectual property or copyright catalogs, including songs or music publishing catalogs, album or EP, masters, or sound recording catalogs, music videos, lyric videos, artist or band names, brands, logos, and trademarks, merchandise, etc.,
- advising and representing clients on any disputes, misuse, or infringement of music intellectual property, copyrights, trademarks, or trade secrets, including issuing take down notices, cease and desist letters, handling litigation and appeals, settlement agreements, etc.,
Business & Financial Legal Advice & Help for Music Industry Clients
We have the music industry and legal knowledge and expertise to advise and represent music business clients on their business and financial matters and concerns, including,
- advising music industry clients, including music artist's, band's, and professional's so-called "loan-out" companies, with selecting the appropriate business entities to form, including LLCs, corporations, partnerships, limited partnerships, or LLPs, etc.,
- representing or assisting music business clients with forming and maintaining the appropriate business entities, including drafting and filing LLC articles of organization, corporate charters, partnership agreements, limited partnership or LLP certificates, annual reports, etc.,
- advising, overseeing, and assisting with music royalty audits or other financial audits for music clients, including selection of or introduction to qualified music royalty financial auditors or CPAs, reconciliation of royalty statements, contract or audit summaries, etc.,
- counseling and representing music business clients with music royalty audit or royalty payment disputes or issues, including handling and representing clients with any royalty dispute or audit settlement agreements, litigation, or appeals, etc.,
Reputation, Privacy, Name, Image & Likeness Issues for Music Clients
We have the legal and music business expertise to provide music business clients with legal advice and representation involving defamation, false light, invasion of privacy, the right to publicity, or use of name, image, and likeness, including:
- advising music industry clients on how best to protect their privacy, reputation, and right to publicity, or name, image, or likeness,
- representing and counseling music clients on defamation, false light, and harm to reputation, handling any claims of defamation or false light, including settlement agreeements, litigation, or appeals,
- protecting music clients right to publicity, including proactively seeking out potential misuse or infringment of the client's right to protect and profit from the use of their name, image, and likeness,
- advising and representing music clients in right to publicity uses or disputes, including drafting and negotiating contracts granting others the right to use the client's name, image, or likeness, litigation or settlement agreements for breaches of contracts, unauthorized uses, misuses, etc.,
- counseling and representing music industry clients on invasion of privacy, public disclosures, and intrusion claims or issues, including handling litigation, settlement agreeements, and appeals, etc.,
- advising music clients and assisting with whether they're likely to commit or be found liable for defamation, false light, invasion of privacy, misuse of another's name, image, or likeness, etc.
General Music Industry & Career or Business Advice for Music Clients
We have the music business knowledge and expertise to advise and represent music industry clients on their music business career and industry goals including,
- evaluating and discussing the music business client's short term and long term goals, plans, and needs, to determine the client's best options and path forward, etc.,
- advisisng and providing music clients with needed information on the music industry, including what different roles, parties, or segments of the industry are responsible for, what they look for, etc.,
- performing due diligence, investigating, evaluating, and advising music artists, bands, or music business clients on potential or interested employees or team members or offers of assistance, the legitimacy, history, or success of potential team members, employees, etc.,
- performing due diligence, investigating, evaluating, and advising music business clients on potential career or business opportunities or offers,
- advising music industry clients on insurance needs for their career or business goals, best insurers for music business client's needs, insurance policy issues, etc.,
- advising music business client's on their financial needs to start or grow their music industry careers or businesses, including performing due diligence on potential investors or investment opportunities, etc.
Estate Planning and Wills & Trusts for Music Business Clients
We have the music business and legal knowledge and expertise to advise and represent music industry clients with any estate planning needs and concerns, including
- advising music law clients on the best ways to protect their heirs, assets, and property, and distributed accordingly by using estate planning legal tools and documents, including wills and trusts,
- drafting and properly executing the appropriate wills or trust documents to ensure that the music client's heirs are taken care of and the client's assets and property is distributed according the client's wishes after their death
- advising and representing music clients or their heirs in probate matters, including will challenges or disputes, trust disputes, mismanagement of probate estates, probate assets, trusts, or trust assets by executors, executrices, or trustees, etc.,
- advising music industry clients on the importance and role for incapacity, healthcare, and end of life documents, including powers of attorney, living wills, healthcare powers of attorney, etc.,
- drafting and properly executing incapacity healthcare, and end of life documents that ensure that the client's wishes are followed in the event of the client's incapacity or fatal injury
Real Estate & Property Issues for Music Industry Law Clients
We have the legal and music business expertise to provide music industry clients with legal advice and representation in regards to real estate and property issues or protection, including:
- advising and representing music clients in buying or selling residential or commercial real estate, including negotiating and drafting contracts of sale, drafting and filing deeds, utilizing trusts to privately purchase land or real estate, etc.,
- representing and counseling music clients in real estate disputes or litigation, including breach of contracts of sale, boundary and trespassing disputes and issues, and drafting, filing, or dealing with easements or covenants, etc.,
- representing and advising music clients with landlord and tenant issues, disputes, or litigation, including drafting or any breach of real estate leases or rental agreements, landlord and tenant rights and obligations, for both commercial and residential real estate,
- counseling and representing music business clients with eminent domain government real estate purchases,
- advising and representing music industry clients with the protection of their real estate or personal property, including advising or representing client on insurance matters, disputes, or litigation, etc.
Spouse, Child, & Family Law Issues for Music Business Law Clients
We have the legal and music expertise to provide music industry clients with legal advice and representation with family law issues and protecting their family and their own interests, including:
- advising and representing music clients in negotiating and drafting prenups or prenuptial agreements, or postnuptial agreements, including ensuring validity by overseeing execution and required legal disclosures,
- counseling and representing music clients in unconstested divorces or marital dissolution agreements, including drafting and execution, ensuring proper filing and obtaining the final judgment of divorce, etc.,
- advising and representing music business clients in seeking and obtaining annulments, including properly filing the required documents, etc.,
- counseling and representing music industry clients in unconstested separation or separation agreements, including drafting and execution, ensuring proper filing, etc.,
- advising and representing music clients on spouse, child, and family protection plans, including protection of pets,
- recommending and referring music clients to other attorneys or law firms who handle contested divorces or separations, and consulting with them on music legal issues, including disputes or issues of marital property involving music related intellectual property, copyrights, trademarks, etc.
Let's talk about your music business and legal issues or concerns!
We love to chat with current and new clients. If you need help or have questions about your music industry or legal issues, please complete and submit the form below of call us at 615-671-4301.