Sports Law Firm & Attorney in Nashville
Founded by Nashville sports attorney Zach Scott Gainous, we are a Nashville boutique sports law firm that provides legal expertise, advice and representation to creative & talented athletes, coaches, professionals, and executives in the sports industry. We strive to be, the "go-to" sports law firm and general counsel for creative and talented individuals in sports and athletics.
Who We Help in Sports & Athletics
- Athletes and sports stars, including
- NFL players, current & former,
- NHL players, current & former,
- MLB players, current & former,
- NBA players, current & former,
- PGA golfers, current & former,
- NCAA collegiate athletes in football, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, & golf,
- Power 5 collegiate conference athletes, including, SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, & Pac-12 college athletes,
- Group of 5 collegiate conference athletes, including AAC, C-USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, & Sun Belt conference athletes
- NFL, NHL, MLB, & MBA coaches & assistant coaches, etc.,
- NCAA collegiate coaches & assistants in football, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, & golf,
- Power 5 collegiate conference coaches, including, SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, & Pac-12 college athletes,
- Group of 5 collegiate conference athletes, including AAC, C-USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, & Sun Belt conference athletes
- Sports professionals & executives, including
- NFL team & league executives, athletic trainers, physicians, etc.,
- NHL team & league executives, athletic trainers, physicians, etc.
- MLB team & league executives, athletic trainers, physicians, etc.
- NBA team & league executives, athletic trainers, physicians, etc.
- PGA executives, trainers, etc.
How We Help Athletes & Sports Industry Clients
We have the legal and sports industry expertise to advise and represent athletes, coaches, and sports industry clients in protecting their assets, property, interests, privacy, and reputation, both personally and professionally. Below are just some of the ways and areas we help and serve sports industry clients.
Contracts & Agreements for Athletes & Sports Industry Clients
We have the legal and sports industry expertise to advise and represent sports clients on their sports industry agreements and all of their contracts and agreements, including contract negotiations and drafting, disputes, breaches, and litigation, etc. Some of the agreements we advise and represent sports law clients with include,
- Player contracts for professional athletes and sports stars playing in the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA, semi-pro or minor league teams, etc.,
- Coaching and assistant coaching agreements for NCAA collegiate coaches, NFL coaches, NHL coaches, MLB coaches, NBA coaches, etc.,
- Sports agent or sports agency contracts and agreements for professional athletes, sports stars, pro coaches in the NFL, NHL, MLB, and MBA, NCAA college coaches, etc.,
- Sponsorship & endorsement agreements and contracts for pro athletes, sports stars, and coaches, etc.,
- Merchandise, clothing, or apparel contracts or agreements for athletes, sports stars, and coaches, etc.,
- Team member or employee agreements and contracts for athletes, coaches, and sports stars, including talent or personal management, business or financial management, publicists or PR firms, social media management, etc.
Intellectual Property, Copyrights, & Trademarks for Sports Clients
We have the legal and sports expertise to provide athletes or sports industry clients with legal advice and representation on intellectual property, including the use, protection, management, misuse or infringement of copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets. Some of this includes:
- what types of sports related assets or property qualify for intellectual property protection, under copyright, trademark, or trade secret, including logos, videos, graphics, animation, books, fictional characters, fashion, apparel, merchandise, brands, etc.,
- advising on, assisting with, or overseeing, the protection of sports related intellectual property, copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets, including the benefits and requirements of copyright and trademark registration,
- overseeing and assisting with intellectual property, copyright, and trademark audits and valuations, including financial valuations and sports royalty audits for the use or licensing of sports related IP,
- advising and representing clients in the sale or licensing of sports intellectual property or copyright catalogs, etc.,
- advising and representing clients on any disputes, misuse, or infringement of sports intellectual property, copyrights, trademarks, or trade secrets, including issuing take down notices, cease and desist letters, handling litigation and appeals, settlement agreements, etc.,
Business & Financial Legal Advice & Help for Athletes & Sports Industry Clients
We have the sports industry and legal knowledge and expertise to advise and represent athletes or sports industry clients on their business and financial matters and concerns, including,
- advising sports industry clients, including athlete's, coach's, sports star's or sport professional's so-called "loan-out" companies, with selecting the appropriate business entities to form, including LLCs, corporations, partnerships, limited partnerships, or LLPs, etc.,
- representing or assisting athletes or sports industry clients with forming and maintaining the appropriate business entities, including drafting and filing LLC articles of organization, corporate charters, partnership agreements, limited partnership or LLP certificates, annual reports, etc.,
- advising, overseeing, and assisting with sports royalty audits or other financial audits for sports clients, including selection of or introduction to qualified sports financial auditors or CPAs, reconciliation of royalty statements, contract or audit summaries, etc.,
- counseling and representing sports industry clients with royalty audit or royalty payment disputes or issues, including handling and representing clients with any royalty dispute or audit settlement agreements, litigation, or appeals, etc.,
Reputation, Privacy, Name, Image & Likeness Issues for Sports Client's
We have the legal and sports expertise to provide sports industry clients with legal advice and representation in protecting their reputation, privacy, name, image, and likeness, or right to publicity, including:
- advising athletes and sports industry clients on how best to protect their privacy, reputation, and right to publicity, or name, image, or likeness,
- representing and counseling sports clients on defamation, false light, and harm to reputation, handling any claims of defamation or false light, including settlement agreeements, litigation or appeals,
- protecting sports industry clients right to publicity, including proactively seeking out potential misuse or infringment of the client's right to protect and profit from the use of their name, image, and likeness,
- advising and representing sports clients in right to publicity uses or disputes, including drafting and negotiating contracts granting others the right to use the client's name, image, or likeness, litigation or settlement agreements for breaches of contracts, unauthorized uses, misuses, etc.,
- counseling and representing sports industry clients on invasion of privacy, public disclosures, and intrusion claims or issues, including handling litigation, settlement agreeements, and appeals, etc.,
- advising sports clients and assisting with whether they're likely to commit or be found liable for defamation, false light, invasion of privacy, misuse of another's name, image, or likeness, etc.
General Sports Industry & Career or Business Advice for Sports Clients
We have the sports industry knowledge and expertise to advise and represent athletes & sports industry clients on their sports or athletic career and industry goals including,
- evaluating and discussing the athlete's or sports client's short term and long term goals, plans, and needs, to determine the client's best options and path forward, etc.,
- advisisng and providing sport clients with needed information on the sports industry, including what different roles, parties, or segments of the industry are responsible for, what they look for, etc.,
- performing due diligence, investigating, evaluating, and advising athletes or sport clients on potential or interested team members or offers of assistance, the legitimacy, history, or success of potential team members, etc.,
- performing due diligence, investigating, evaluating, and advising sport industry clients on potential career or business opportunities or offers,
- advising sports clients on insurance needs for their career or business goals, best insurers for sports client's needs, insurance policy issues, etc.,
- advising sport client's on their financial needs to start or grow their athletic or sports industry careers or businesses, including performing due diligence on potential investors or investment opportunities, etc.
Estate Planning and Wills & Trusts for Athletes & Sports Law Clients
We have the sports industry and legal knowledge and expertise to advise and represent athlets and sports industry clients with any estate planning needs and concerns, including
- advising sports clients on the best ways to protect their heirs, assets, and property, and distributed accordingly by using estate planning legal tools and documents, including wills and trusts,
- drafting and properly executing the appropriate wills or trust documents to ensure that the sports client's heirs are taken care of and the client's assets and property is distributed according the client's wishes after their death
- advising and representing sports clients or their heirs in probate matters, including will challenges or disputes, trust disputes, mismanagement of probate estates, probate assets, trusts, or trust assets by executors, executrices, or trustees, etc.,
- advising sports industry clients on the importance and role for incapacity, healthcare, and end of life documents, including powers of attorney, living wills, healthcare powers of attorney, etc.,
- drafting and properly executing incapacity healthcare, and end of life documents that ensure that the sport client's wishes are followed in the event of the client's incapacity or fatal injury
Real Estate & Property Issues for Athletes or Sport Clients
We have the legal and sport industry expertise to provide sport industry clients with legal advice and representation in regards to real estate and property issues or protection, including:
- advising and representing athletes & sports clients in buying or selling residential or commercial real estate, including negotiating and drafting contracts of sale, drafting and filing deeds, utilizing trusts to privately purchase land or real estate, etc.,
- representing and counseling sports clients in real estate disputes or litigation, including breach of contracts of sale, boundary and trespassing disputes and issues, and drafting, filing, or dealing with easements or covenants, etc.,
- representing and advising sports industry clients with landlord and tenant issues, disputes, or litigation, including drafting or any breach of real estate leases or rental agreements, landlord and tenant rights and obligations, for both commercial and residential real estate,
- counseling and representing sports clients or athletes with eminent domain government real estate purchases,
- advising and representing sports clients and athletes with the protection of their real estate or personal property, including advising or representing client on insurance matters, disputes, or litigation, etc.
Spouse, Child, & Family Law Issues for Athletes or Sports Law Clients
We have the legal and sports industry expertise to provide athletes and sports industry clients with legal advice and representation in protecting their family and their own interests, including:
- advising and representing sports law clients in negotiating and drafting prenups or prenuptial agreements, or postnuptial agreements, including ensuring validity by overseeing execution and required legal disclosures,
- counseling and representing sports industry clients in unconstested divorces or marital dissolution agreements, including drafting and execution, ensuring proper filing and obtaining the final judgment of divorce, etc.,
- advising and representing sports law clients in seeking and obtaining annulments, including properly filing the required documents, etc.,
- counseling and representing sports industry clients or athletes in unconstested separation or separation agreements, including drafting and execution, ensuring proper filing, etc.,
- advising and representing sport clients or athletes on spouse, child, and family protection plans, including protection of pets,
- recommending and referring sports clients to other attorneys or law firms who handle contested divorces or separations, and consulting with them on sport legal issues, including disputes or issues of marital property involving sports related intellectual property, copyrights, trademarks, etc.
Let's talk about your sports law or industry issues or concerns.
We love to chat with current and new clients. If you need help or have questions about sports industry or legal issues, please complete and submit the form below of call us at 615-671-4301.